January 03, 2006

Lisa: Pre-training: Week 4, Days 3 & 4; Week 5, Day1

If I am going to keep track of each training session this way, I really need to stay on top of it better. Three at one time is crazy. Anyway.

Week 4, Day 3:

After I got off work on New Year's Eve, Sarah and I went up to the Red Butte Gardens area to check out the trail we were supposed to try the Tuesday before, when I stayed home sick. We ended up parking behind one of the corporate buildings in Research Park that had an entry point to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. When we got up to the trail, it was totally muddy and full of puddles but we kept going anyway, heading north up past Red Butte (which was closed) toward the hospital. The trail seemed to end behind the cancer center, so we turned around and headed back to the car. It turned out to be great timing, because our 45 minutes was up right when we got back. We probably went a bit slower than usual, because we had to keep navigating around sinkholes. Our previously pristine running shoes got covered with red mud, but it was nice to be out walking in the daytime when we could actually see the great view from the trail. This part of the Bonneville trail will be good to try again when it is either colder, so that the ground is frozen (but not snowy), or warmer, so that the ground is drier.

Week 4, Day 4:

Unfortunately, Jessie had to work on Sunday afternoon (New Year's Day), but Sarah, Mallory, Marci, and I met at the 48th South entry to the Jordan River Parkway and headed south. It was a gorgeous day, and the paved trails and wooden bridges made for easy and fast walking. This part of the Parkway is quite flat, but the area is really pretty and I think it will be a good place for us to run--especially on Sundays when Mal is with us. We saw the most people that we have seen at any of our running locations yet, but that is probably because we went at a time of day when regular mortals are actually awake.

Week 5, Day 1:

This morning Marci and I met at Big Cottonwood park. We started actual jogging this week instead of just fast walking, and it was kind of a nasty shock. I was feeling so great with the walking, and I guess I thought I was in better shape than I actually am. The schedule was jog 5 minutes, walk 5 minutes, jog 5 minutes, walk 5 minutes, jog 5 minutes, and walk 5 minutes (for a total of 30 minutes). The worst jogging section was the first one; after that we kind of got used to the fact that jogging is a lot more painful than walking. In our 30 minutes, we circled the baseball fields, then did a big figure-8 around the rest of the park, finishing up with two more loops around the ball fields. A few minutes into our session it starting raining pretty hard--our first true running-in-bad-weather experience! We are so hardcore.

1/1/06: 130 lbs, 29% body fat
1/3/06: 129.5 lbs, 29% body fat


Posted by lisa at January 03, 2006 07:02 AM

I woke up at 5:45. I don't know how this happened.

Posted by: sarah on January 3, 2006 10:16 AM

BLAH- That is a HORRIBLE picture of me. Ok but what picture is not horrible. Photos should not be taken at 6 am and after running.

Posted by: Marci on January 3, 2006 11:30 AM

Also we probably should start stretching now beofre jogging. My legs muscles hurt from this morning.

Posted by: Marci on January 3, 2006 03:21 PM

SEE! I told you early morning pictures are ugly by definition. And you all just thought I was ugly. Anyway, good call on the stretching. Do you...know how to do that?

Posted by: lisa on January 3, 2006 04:46 PM

First I totally left out a part of a sentence. I meant to say what picture OF ME is not horrible. Becuase Miss Lisa your a gorgeous. And second I know a few stretches. Some is better than none.

Posted by: Marci on January 3, 2006 04:56 PM


Posted by: sarah on January 4, 2006 09:15 AM
Post a comment

Email Address:



Remember info?